STEP Summer Program
Barnard College is a great place to be in the summer! You can take advantage of the many summer experiences Barnard STEP has to offer. From academic courses in math and science and lunch in the dining halls, the College is yours to explore! In addition, we have plenty of on-campus and off-campus events for you to enjoy. Each Friday, in the 4-week program, students will be visiting different educational organizations.
- Summer Metrocards are provided to accepted students.
- Lunch and snack are provided every day of the summer program.
Our summer 2019 program will run weekdays Monday – Friday between 10:00am – 4:00pm from July 8th, 2019 – August 2nd, 2019.
The courses offered this summer are:
- CSI STEP: This course will introduce students to the various methodologies and applications used in a forensic context. Topics discussed will include organic and inorganic chemical analyses of physical evidence, principles of serology and DNA analysis, fingerprint analysis and document examination. (Middle school students only)
- Science in Movies: Focusing on the scientific principles that are manipulated in cinematic universes, students will analyze designated films and discuss the science underlying the world in the movie like nuclear technology in Iron Man’s suit, or wormholes in Thor’s Bifrost. (Both Middle and High School Students)
- Food Chemistry and Nutrition Science: Food Chemistry and Nutrition Science is a hands-on, experiential-based, and multidisciplinary course. It introduces students to the nutrients that are essential for good health, growth and development. In addition, it introduces students to the carbon footprint of their diet and its effect on the environment. (Both Middle and High School Students)
- Geometry of the Arts: Students will use geometric concepts and explore how they are applied to real-life situations. Using similarity, scaling, and factoring students will create ideal apartments/dorms rooms, tiled picture patterns through tessellation and much more. (Both Middle and High School Students)
- Trauma 101: This course is designed to provide hands-on exposure to medical applications used to treat trauma sustained to the human body. Students will be introduced to a variety of different presentations of trauma and investigate how medical clinicians treat each case. (High School Students only)
Accepted students are required to attend the summer program every day. No more than 2 tardies and 1 absence will be allowed. We understand things happen, emergencies occur, and an absence may be unavoidable due to sickness, family issues, or unforeseen circumstances. All STEP participants must let us know on this application if any days will be missed. Excessive tardies and/or absences will result in dismissal of the program.
How To Apply
Please scan and email your complete application to email@example.com
Attn: Admissions Committee
You may also drop off your application at our STEP Office,
STEP Program (Lefrak 1st Floor)
New York, NY 10027
The Summer 2019 Application and supporting documents must be submitted before June 7th, 2019.
Incomplete Applications are not reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Students cannot be accepted into the summer program until all requested/required documents and information has been received.